Saturday, January 5, 2008

Am I a Robot?

"Am I a robot?"

I think this is an interesting question to ask ourselves when analyzing whether we are happy with the life we have lived so far. It is an abstract question, though, and one might say that robots can become as complex as human beings in the future (or even more complex than). However, I am talking about simpler robots, incapable of dreaming, creating new things, and changing the course of their lives. I usually make this analysis based on four simpler questions:

1. How much of what I do are simple responses to events that have happened ?

If you just react to what happens around you, you will never be able to create new things and drive your own life.

2. How much of my behavior was imposed by the rest of the world ?

Disseminating knowledge and experience is paramount for our progress. But does someone really have free will if everything she or he does was imposed by others. You should always know the purpose of the actions you take and relate them to your goals in life. An action whose purpose does not match your goals is not worth taking.

3. How distant are my long term dreams from my current reality?

If you dream about something you already have, is it really a dream? You should always dream about your biggest realizations because you will only have one opportunity to achieve them in this life.

4. How much has my life changed lately?


Even if you have wonderful dreams about your long term future, if you do not steer your life toward achieving them, they will never become reality. You should not be afraid of achieving your goals because that was the reason you created them. By the time you achieve something, you will have already defined further goals to achieve afterwards, and that's what makes life the great adventure it is.

I remember several periods of my life in which I behaved like a robot. Being able to realize the problem and changing the situation is what makes us human beings. You can always change your life, unless you are really a robot.

No comments: